Jaguars release Bennett, creating roster spot for Fowler
- Mayfield sparks Browns to win in debut
- Red Sox clinch third straight East title
- Brown: Not seeking trade from Steelers
- WR Jones says he's 'good' to face Saints
- Semien powers A's in 21-3 rout of Angels
- Braves beat Phils, cut magic number to 4
- Jays stun Rays with 3 HRs in 7-run 9th
- Ohio State DE Bosa undergoes surgery
- Mattingly likely back as Marlins manager
- Woods cards 65, shares lead at East Lake
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) The Jacksonville Jaguars have released defensive tackle Michael Bennett, clearing a roster spot for suspended defensive end Dante Fowler to rejoin the team.
Fowler was suspended for the season opener at the New York Giants following a 2017 arrest. He returned to the team Monday, but Jacksonville had until Tuesday afternoon to make a roster move.
Fowler, the third overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft, is entering the final year of his rookie contract. He had 10 sacks last season, including two in the AFC title game at New England.
Bennett has played in 14 games since the Jaguars selected him in the sixth round of the 2015 draft. He was inactive for the opener.
The Jaguars play host to New England on Sunday.
More AP college football: https://apnews.com/tag/Collegefootball and https://twitter.com/AP-Top25
Updated September 11, 2018
Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS is strictly prohibited.